Is there anything more relaxing than unwinding in a warm sauna? What about hopping in a luxurious steam shower? As it turns out, the great debate over steam showers vs. saunas has a lot to do with your preferences. Below, we unpack the differences between both options to help you make the right choice.
Steam Shower vs. Sauna
The key difference between a steam shower and a sauna is moisture. While steam showers rely on – you guessed it – steam to operate, saunas fill the air with dry heat created using stones.
Steam Showers: Soothing Moisture
Steam showers offer a spa-like experience in your own home. They’re popular for those who want to add to their existing health and wellness or shower routine. After all, we spend a lot of time in showers – it makes sense to maximize that time and the benefits it can offer.
- Heat Source: A steam generator, like ThermaSol’s PRO Series Generators, creates constant and consistent steam. The result is a warm, humid environment that melts the day’s stress away. Our PRO Series Generators even use Smart Steam Technology to produce the perfect amount to keep your shower at the ideal temperature.
- Health & Wellness: Steam helps open pores and also promotes blood flow throughout the body, creating a relaxing and rejuvenating environment. Additional features like aromatherapy and Bluetooth compatibility offer more opportunities to customize your wellness experience.
- Maintenance: Installing a steam shower requires a steam generator, waterproofing and proper ventilation. Fortunately, maintenance can be made easy. Thermasol’s PRO Series II and III Generators feature our exclusive PowerFlush cleaning, which purges calcification and keeps the inner tank of the steam generator clean.
Saunas: Dry Heat & Detoxification
The classic sauna is a popular part of most spas and wellness centers thanks to its powerful therapeutic properties. But you don’t need to hit the spa to experience the benefits yourself. Indoor and outdoor saunas are fantastic additions to any home; choose between different sizes and designs to find your dream fit.
- Heat Source: Because they are dry heaters, sauna heaters are usually electric and may also feature traditional sauna stones. These heaters warm up the air inside a sauna until it reaches its target temperatures – no steam required.
- Health & Wellness: Low humidity levels can make the heat of a sauna feel even more intense than it truly is. As a result, you’ll likely sweat a lot while you sit inside, which helps your body detox.
- Maintenance: Saunas are relatively simple to install and maintain. Maintenance primarily involves wiping down the inside of your sauna around once a week and occasionally swapping out the rocks used to heat your sauna.
How to Choose Between Showers and Saunas
Choosing between a steam vs. sauna addition to your home can be tough, but it helps to consider your preferences and goals.
|Steam vs. Sauna||Steam Shower||Sauna|
|Offers intense heat||X||X|
|Designed for indoor or outdoor use||X|
|Known to help promote relaxation, maintain good health, etc.||X||X|
Consider what option would benefit you the most based on what you hope to achieve. For example, a steam shower might be best if you want to incorporate health and wellness benefits directly into your daily hygiene routine. But a sauna might be your preference if you prefer the lightweight feeling you get after a good, deep sweat.
When in doubt, it never hurts to think outside the box! You can also consider a steam and sauna combo if you’d like to reap the benefits of both. There really is no wrong decision to make – steam showers and saunas are both winners in our book. What arguably matters above all else is which experience speaks the most to you.
Thermasol is Your Top Choice for Saunas and Showers
Both steam showers and saunas offer similar benefits and downsides, so the best fit depends on what works for you. No matter which choice you make, Thermasol is here to help. For decades, Thermasol has been the premier choice for home wellness technology that’s constantly pushing to new heights.